Sindhu Cherian, MD, FCAP
Brent Wood, MD, PhD
Flow Cytometry in Evaluation of Hematopoietic Neoplasms is a practical, case-based guide to flow cytometric analysis in the workup of hematopoietic neoplasms presenting in the peripheral blood, marrow, lymphoid tissue, and extranodal sites. Using multi-color techniques pioneered by Brent Wood, the text demonstrates a unique approach to diagnosis of hematopoietic malignancies as well as identification of small abnormal populations in the posttherapy setting (minimal residual disease testing).
- An introduction to immunophenotypic changes seen in normal hematopoiesis
- Overview of the evaluation of lymphomas, leukemias, and myeloid stem-cell neoplasms
These concepts are further illustrated by a series of 36 cases, each dedicated to a specific disease entity. Each case includes:
- Detailed, full-color images of flow cytometric dot plots that clearly outline the features of the disease
- Clinical history and thorough discussion, enabling readers to develop and work through a differential diagnosis and recognize potential diagnostic pitfalls
- Take-home points that emphasize critical concepts in flow cytometric diagnosis
Flow Cytometry in Evaluation of Hematopoietic Neoplasms provides pathologists, residents, laboratory technologists, and hematologists with both a study guide and an atlas for regular consultation in the clinical flow cytometry laboratory. The 2008 World Health Organization (WHO) classification system, French-American-British (FAB) classifications, and 2006 Bethesda Consensus recommendations are incorporated in the text.
Contents (PDF, 27 K)
Sample pages (PDF, 78.5 K)
Hardcover; 176 pages; nearly 100 figures comprising hundreds of dot plots; 2012
This new atlas of flow cytometry is a comprehensive review of the field with superb illustrations of flow patterns. This volume will be a valuable addition to any flow cytometry library. Practitioners will find it useful in daily interpretation of flow cytometric investigations in routine clinical practice.
Frederick L. Kiechle, MD, PhD, FCAP
Medical Director of Clinical Pathology, Memorial Healthcare System, Hollywood, Florida